History of Training Ship "Rahaman"
Having shifted the Orphanage to Nhava in 1912 and secured
permission to conduct Marine Training, in 1915 nautical education was
introduced and the School renamed as the Marine School. On December 4th 1918, a
petition was prepared by about 650 seafarers and presented to the then Governor of Bombay for
starting a training college
for Indian seafarers. A committee was appointed to consider the proposal and
submit its recommendations. A resolution was also moved on January 12th, 1922 by Sir
P. S. Srivarswami Aiyar in the Legislative Assembly “to investigate ways and
means of promoting the formation of an Indian Mercantile Marine and the
encouragement of ship building.” In April 1923, the Indian Mercantile Marine
Committee visited Nhava and commenced negotiations with Sir Mohamed Yusuf to
convert the Marine School at Nhava into a full fledged training establishment
under Government auspices. Sir Yusuf declined to hand over the School to the
British Government and negotiations broke down. The Petitioners thereafter
approached Sir Yusuf directly to convert his school into a Marine Training
Establishment, which he readily agreed to do. In 1925, the School was renamed
as Marine College, and affiliated to the Bombay University. Classes were taken
up to the Matriculation Level to qualify for the Home Trade Certificate of
Competency. With 375 students on the register, the Marine College became the
first training establishment to train Indians both as Ratings and Officers for
the Mercantile Marine.
The Decade of the 80s however, witnessed a new chapter in the
History of the Training Ship with the introduction of the IMO Modular Courses,
and thereafter, the reintroduction of Pre Sea Courses for Navigating Officer
Cadets in 1988, followed by Pre Sea Rating training in 1991. With the addition
of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Course in 1996, the Training
Ship embarked on a new phase of electronic simulator based courses. The
addition of RANSCO and ROC ARPA courses in the Institution has further
reinforced the usefulness of simulators.
Ship “Rahaman” has thus rendered yeoman service to the Maritime community
for over nine decades and can justifiably look back to the past with a sense
of pride and to the future with anticipation and confidence.